Monday, 25 April 2011
Tweet And Sour Source
So why do we (or rather I) spend time Tweeting. What’s it all about? What have I gained from it to either support what I do at work, or to make me a better person.
There are loads of sites telling you what to do or not do. Even The Dummies Guide (most of its links are already out of date) offers support guidance and lots of do’s and don’ts. This is not meant to be about what is good or bad.
Traditionally a cop would give you the definitive list of things to do and things not to do. In essence what we like and approve of, and what we don’t.
Instead here is my list of things that I Like about Twitter (TILAT), and Things I Don’t (TIDAT)
In no order of priority , “worseness” or “bestness”.
· That I can reconnect with good people I haven’t seen for ages yet have a connection with. Malik the Cameraman, for example, the epitome of professionalism, yet a real human and GSOH as they say elsewhere. TILAT
· I can influence issues publicly like getting Cranstons to stock Mr Vikkis Hot Apricot, not a big thing, but my voice and view counts. TILAT
· I love the creativity especially in my work world. GMP tweet Day, WMP looking at the courts and of course my favourite Tweet-a-long (TAL) CstMandy from VPD. All good stuff pushing the boundaries out, stretching the envelope. TILAT
· I can get info about what is going on instantly. Twitter remains about 30 minutes ahead of most news stories. TILAT
· I dislike politicians who use it to “pronounce” yet won’t get involved with challenges or, give any response at all. I firmly believe it’s a participatory activity. This is not a party thing BTW. TILAT
· It hasn’t taken long to find an innocent sounding name is a front for porn. Sadly all technology fires something in that direction. TIDAT
· I like the fact I can advertise things that concern me or impact on my life, whether policing or otherwise. I can start a debate and get some responses fairly soon. TILAT
· I like the fact that people can enter into a relatively respectful debate and can see differing viewpoints. TILAT
· It is relatively easy to find people and to join them in some debate. Likewise I enjoy the opportunity to connect with strangers who have a common link. TILAT
· It can take a long time to get responses and Twitter is very much a here and now life. So if you miss a few days you could miss a lot. TIDAT
· It provides a mixture of work rest play family, friend interests and just about anything. A real cocktail TILAT
So for the future
1. I think we will see more innovative ideas coming from Law Enforcement
2. I think those pontificating or merely espousing a view without responding to challenge will lose out
3. I think that it will become a much more impactive and interactive tool for cops particularly to understand what people really want from us
4. Finally I think it will help to create a more level field within policing.
All your comments and suggestions most welcome
Popular Posts in last 7 Days
Today HRH Prince Charles visited Cumbria and was given the opportunity to meet a range of people, businesses and buildings across the county...
The guy behind the swim is Najib Belhadi Here is his swimming CV http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Nejib_Belhedi A remarkable and...
Ransomware Seminar 19th May 09.30-11.30 Ransomware is now one of the biggest threats to industry, charities, health and citizens. Fin...
This week I attended a seminar on how to be a SIRO, Senior Information Risk Owner In other words how to protect the organisation from data a...
ECPAT is an international charity aiming to tackle Child Prostitution and Trafficking. It is a great charity and here is a tale of what som...
If you get the chance have a read of the Lake District Mountain Search and Rescue Association Mountains Accidents 2011 A long title but ...
So we started the day with some trepidation or at least I did. A longer swim than ever before for Me. A stroll in the lake for Tom and Mich...
So Saturday was the Big March. Anywhere between 300 and 500,000 peaceful protesters protesting. All magnificently managed by the Met suppo...
I am helping Leeds University with a business Cybercrime Survey go to www.bit.do/cybersurvey to complete it or use the QR code. Many tha...
Many people are told when they call the police to report a fraud, especially a cyber based one that they should call ActionFraud or report ...